Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Analyzing Student Data in Spreadsheet

The information below is the spreadsheet with all of the students who were below average on Tests 6-10.




The chart has the graphed points of all the students test scores for Tests 6-10



This is my final sheet of data used to create the line graph. Be sure to choose the "Students Below AVG" tab located at the bottom of the page to view the manipulated data.

Personal Reflection

The general trend of the student test scores increased as a whole. It was apparent there were a few outliers with this trend. However, on Test #10, 6 of the 12 below test average, scored above the established class average, which was a huge improvement from the scores from test 6. Google sheets with the embedded chart is a great way to visualize student progress. Isolating specific tests is a great way to track progress with specific units and among the students. The raw scores are one way to portray the data, but to obtain an overview of the selected group, the chart was a quick and easy way to see which students followed the class trends and which may need more one-on-one attention or review of the material. The students I would focus more attention onto would be Kathrine, because she had such inconsistent test scores. The others I would focus on were the ones who never reached at or above the class average for tests 6 -10. I would need to pay attention to the prior to test 10 if it was the final test of the semester, but I could take their averages and compare them with other student's averages after each test, so that students don't fall too far behind.

I found the Google Sheet experience to be fairly easy, because I have worked a fair amount with Excel in the past. The difficulty came when trying to find the functions in the sheet, and not in excel, but I did know which functions I was looking for. Where I encountered the most difficulty was trying to embed the individual sheet into the blog. Until I publish the post I will not know if the embedding worked properly. It has been a growth experience for me and exploring new functions of two programs I feel moderately competent in using. I don't think I have this skill mastered by any means, but I hope if I do it a few more times it will become easier each time. I think I could use this in the future to share students comments or similar views when anonymity is important.

After one failed attempt at trying to insert both my Students Below Average on Test 6-10 and my Chart on the same page I am becoming frustrated, because I am not getting both of them to be active at the same time. I don't want to result to creating a second document just for the chart or spreadsheet, but I may just for the sake of getting them both to be published on the page. I think if I was just using one sheet it would be easier, but I don't think I would use the feature for publishing more than one sheet independent from each other. I found how to view it just like on Google sheets, with the tabs. But this creates an issue for seeing the entirety of the chart. I am in the process of trying to figure that out.

I haven't figured out how to get the chart to show its entirety yet, but I was able to figure out how to get them to both work from the same Google sheet. I don't know if this is in the scope of my knowledge with this program. I may need some help trying to fit the extents of the sheet into the view space of the blog.

Frustration is the one word I can use to describe this assignment. I hope that it becomes easier if I have to use this in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thorough reflection, and aggressively attempting to work through Google Sheets. Seems like a typical struggle to embed the data/chart with minimal scrolling. We'll talk about that in class. Hint: may need to EDIT HTML and peek at the width/height elements.

    ReplyDelete